100 Catalogues of the Galleria del Naviglio in Milan

The Galleria del Naviglio began its activity in Milan in January 1946 thanks to Carlo Cardazzo, who in April 1942 had opened his first exhibition venue in Venice, the Galleria del Cavallino.
This is how Beniamino Joppolo, who was an assiduous collaborator of Cardazzo's, would comment a few years later on this new intiative:

"Dear Cardazzo, the "Naviglio," Leonardo's old Naviglio covered and rediscovered by you has had its revenge against those who had deprived it of light, it has re-emerged in art and, what is even more important, in truly Leonardesque spatiality. The magical, the scientific, the mysterious Leonardo was certainly what medianly summoned us to our work" [Luca Massimo Barbero and Francesca Pola, Una "centrale creativa" a Milano. Carlo Cardazzo's Naviglio Gallery 1946-1963. in "Carlo Cardazzo. A new vision of art. Edited by Massimo Barbero. Electa, 2008].

Carlo Cardazzo directed the gallery until his death in 1963. From this moment on, the direction was taken over by his brother Renato Cardazzo (Venice, 1918 - Milan, 2002), until 2001, when his son Giorgio took over the direction of the gallery until 2011.

The Galleria del Naviglio was conceived by Carlo Cardazzo, right from its foundation, as a venue for international meetings in which relations between all spheres of creativity - art, literature, publishing, cinema, industry, fashion, etc. - were to materialise, with initiatives directly integrated into the civil, social and economic fabric of the city of Milan.
In its first years of activity, there were exhibitions of the main Italian artists, such as Balla, Carrà, De Chirico, De pisis, Morandi, Sironi, and foreigners: Braque, Picasso, Kandinsky, Mirò, Jorn, Delaunay, among others. Great attention is paid to the avant-garde movements with exhibitions of Pollock, Burri, Fontana, Scanavino, Poliakoff, Dubuffet, Kline, Twombly.

A decisive turning point came in the years immediately following its establishment, when the artists who were to give life to Spatialism began to gather around Lucio Fontana. Spatialism was officially established in 1947 with the First Manifesto of Spatialism written by Fontana, with Beniamino Joppolo, Giorgio Kaisserlian and Milena Milani.

The 100 catalogues presented with this first list range from 1950 to 1980. Others will gradually be presented with periodical updates. In particular, an attempt will be made to recover the first catalogues from the 1940s, which are completely absent here, and from the 1950s, which are only minimally present. Once completed, or in any case brought to an advanced state, the project will be able to provide as broad a view as possible of the Gallery's activities, which will also be useful for bibliographical research on the subject. To this end, all catalogues, which will be described with as many images and information as possible, even if they are sold over time, will still be kept online on our website.